Kiwi Particle Physicist

March 14, 2006

Blog Motivation

Until recently there didn't seem to be too many science/physics blogs around, although they seem to be becoming a bit more popular lately. I think part of the reason for this is the success of blogs like Quantum Diaries, Cosmic Variance, and Bad Astronomy. These have all have done a good job of keeping the public up to date with what's happening with physics and science, which I think has encouraged a lot more scientists to jump on the bandwagon.

One problem with scientists writing blogs though is that they don't always seem entirely certain what they're trying to write about. At one extreme they end up becoming a place to rant about politics, no different from any number of other blogs around, and at the other they practically turn into a textbook aimed at graduate student level. My reason for starting is to try to keep friends and family up to date with what I'm doing over here on the experiment, and to use it as a place to discuss what's going on with particle physics and science in general over here in Japan, and also in New Zealand. It will hopefully also provide much needed writing practice.

I'm a bit worried I'll run out of stuff to write about, but I'll have to wait and see. Life as a particle physics grad student is not as exciting and action packed as it might sound. Anyway, I'll try to post a couple of times a week. Let me know if you have any good ideas or topics to write about, or if you have any questions about the experiment that I should try to explain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home